DiscographyDB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DiscographyDB

Make your voice be heard by joining our weekly Saturday chatsessions!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should we have a welcome message for new users?

Go down 
+4
instanceof
skutchy
deejsasqui
tony.lee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tony.lee

tony.lee

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Should we have a welcome message for new users? Empty
PostSubject: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 am

I am just hoping I can attract some people with the idea that new users should be given some sort of welcome.I myself found the site a little bewildering when I joined.
I would have enjoyed it perhaps if I were directed to some page where I would be given a snapshot of what's going on.This page would be updated from time to time to indicate at we stage we stand.
This may not seem like a high priority just now but I'd like to think taking care of the new people and keeping them interested is very important.
I recently welcomed someone and they were very appreciative.
I told them where we are at, what they can do and generally made them feel welcome.
Is there any motion to put something like this in place.
Doe's anyone else think this would be a good idea or is it just me being my normal over caring self?

Last edited by tony.lee on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.discogs.com/user/tony.lee
deejsasqui
Admin, Manager
deejsasqui

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:23 am

Over caring? You're just extra squishy on the outside, like our official greeter-peep Very Happy

I agree, this forum isn't exactly the most forward image for our efforts, especially as it's grown from an alternative Discogs forum without censorship into the home for the new site efforts. Maybe discographydb.xxx could have a placeholder page, with a link to this forum?
Back to top Go down
http://www.distort.us
tony.lee

tony.lee

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:35 am

Thankyou Embarassed

The welcome I gave to that one lucky new member gave a very brief overview of what's going on.
I mentioned the steering committee of 11 members, the importance of voting in the polls, the growth rate of the site, the forums use, and finished by saying hello.

I got a nice response and went away feeling good with myself as I'm sure he/she did.

I would think a welcome for every new member is almost essential as I'm sure many log in once and then disappear.
Most of them will no doubt return, it's just that I can't help but feel they are missing a lot by being away.
Back to top Go down
skutchy

skutchy

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 2:06 am

Good call Tony! I agree that if someone comes along here at this stage in the day it could be a bit much to read through all the posts to get a good idea of what's going on. That will no doubt be sorted upon the eventual implementation of the new DB but until then, we need new members to know that they are welcome and their input appreciated. So welcome newbies and hello to all the old timers reading this as well. Good on you all for making it here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
instanceof

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 2:29 am

i do appreciate it, tony. i think this is a cool idea
i'm going to read all the most important topics here -then i will think more seriously about some suggestions
thank you skutchy too
Back to top Go down
skutchy

skutchy

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 am

no problem mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tony.lee

tony.lee

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 2:34 am

instanceof wrote:
i do appreciate it, tony. i think this is a cool idea
i'm going to read all the most important topics here -then i will think more seriously about some suggestions
thank you skutchy too

Thanks, and incase anyone didn't know this is the lucky member I referred to earlier. Wink

So on that positive note it's time to go and sleep Sleep

Oh, and thanks skutchy too, see all friends here.
Back to top Go down
tony.lee

tony.lee

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Seems like it wasn't to popular an idea to put in place a welcome message for new members but I do have one more thing I would like to bring up.

Could we ask all new members to provide a link back to their Discogs account.
I'm really referring to those who don't have anything else to add in their profiles (like myself).
This way we can find out a little bit about who we are talking, posting, sharing the forums with.
Just as a temporary solution until we later on have the ability to expand our profiles.
Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

Number of posts : 908
Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:13 pm

tony.lee wrote:
Seems like it wasn't to popular an idea to put in place a welcome message for new members but I do have one more thing I would like to bring up.
In fact I can send automated messages to every new registered user. Maybe something we can consider.
Back to top Go down
http://www.discogs.com/user/dmaxx
tony.lee

tony.lee

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 10:49 pm

dmaxx wrote:
tony.lee wrote:
In fact I can send automated messages to every new registered user. Maybe something we can consider.

I was going to edit my message a bit but you got here first.

Yes, I believe to keep the people informed = interested something must be done.
Just a brief outline of proceedings maybe once a week and more when necessary.
Kept short and simple so everyone , or a large majority, will read it.
Back to top Go down
corne_mo
Admin, Manager

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 7:33 am

Or some sticky post with the newest updates on what's discussed. I think if you come to this forum atm you are overwhelmed with posts. Especially cause they all concern the same item (read DdB) so you actually have to read (almost) all of them.
Back to top Go down
deejsasqui
Admin, Manager
deejsasqui

Number of posts : 979

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Maybe DiscographyDB.xxx can display a page with a summary of the current development progress, with a link to the forums? Maybe for now, DiscographyDB.xxx can link to a sticky in the forum, if we don't have a real host yet.

I've updated the wiki login/join page, as I just now realized it was a default message for all this time, and it's the first hit when searching for DiscographyDB with Google (though it doesn't come up on Yahoo or MSN).
Back to top Go down
http://www.distort.us
tony.lee

tony.lee

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:43 pm

I think we need to get something in place as soon as possible.As corne_mo said above, the new user to this database must feel overwhelmed when coming in for the first time.

I think a friendly, informative, and brief welcome note just to say hello and don't panic.
Let them know what's happened recently, what the plans are and what the forums are for, but most inportantly they must be made to feel comfortable.

When I caught that user I mentioned at the top of this thread I actually said try not to be overwhelmed and explained the stage we were at and how things may seem caotic just now.
That way I hope he felt a sense of, ah..this is ok I don't need to read everything all at once, and not, oh...F**K.

To many people are logging on only once, I almost did that myself.
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 3:12 am

Automated welcome message for new users: DRAFT
(sender = dmaxx)

=============================================

DiscographyDB welcomes you on the official forum.

We are glad to have you with us! We are currently in the beginning phase of a very ambiguous project that will redefine the standard of audio catalogueing.

As you all ready may have seen the forum consists out of four main parts:
- About: the public section, dedicated to general forum-related topics.
- DiscographyDB: the section in which the details for the project are being discussed (devided in two parts: the 'Steering Committee' and 'General' part, on their turns devided into more categories).
- Discogs: DDB's predecessor, in which many people from our crew learned the art of catalogueing in online cross-linked databases + things that are good or could be better.
- Chat: general, non-related discussions.

There's also a wiki to our disposal, more information about it can be found here.

We invite you to have a look at what has been post in the past, and bring in your ideas. Every input will be seriously considered, as we tend to be as open and democratical as possible.

In case you have any questions left: we will gladly answer all of them in the forums or by private messages.

We sincerely hope you will have a pleasant stay!

The DiscographyDB team.

=============================================

Feedback welcome! I might also add some important links, good idea?

Last edited by dmaxx on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
corne_mo
Admin, Manager

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:29 am

Looks good dmaxx. Should there be any mentioning of the wiki too?
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

corne_mo wrote:
Looks good dmaxx. Should there be any mentioning of the wiki too?
Done. Smile
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:33 pm

The welcome message is now set, new users will receive it automatically from now on. Let me know if it needs other changes.
Back to top Go down
Masakari

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks for your work dmaxx!

~ 4th line: all ready --> already
~ 13th line: has been post --> has been posted ?
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 am

Fixed, thanks Masakari

We are glad to have you with us! We are currently in the beginning phase of a very ambiguous project that will redefine the standard of audio catalogueing.

As you already may have seen the forum consists out of four main parts:
- DiscographyDB: the section in which the details for the project are being discussed (devided in two parts: the 'Steering Committee' and 'General' part, on their turns devided into more categories).
- Discogs: DDB's predecessor, in which many people from our crew learned the art of catalogueing in online cross-linked databases + things that are good or could be better.

There's also a wiki to our disposal, more information about it can be found here.

We invite you to have a look at what has been posted in the past, and bring in your ideas. Every input will be seriously considered, as we tend to be as open and democratical as possible.

In case you have any questions left: we will gladly answer all of them in the forums or by private messages.

The DiscographyDB team.
Back to top Go down
Horoma

Horoma

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 pm

ambiguous => ambitious (ouch No )
consists out of ==> consists of
devided in two parts ==> divided in two parts
on their turns devided ==> both further divided
in which many people ==> where many people
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 12:20 am

Horoma, thanks for your kind help! Small LOL at "ambiguous", I can guarantee you it wasn't done on purpose Surprised

Here's the adapted version.

We are glad to have you with us! We are currently in the beginning phase of a very ambitious project that will redefine the standard of audio catalogueing.

As you already may have seen the forum consists of four main parts:
- DiscographyDB: the section in which the details for the project are being discussed (divided in two parts: the 'Steering Committee' and 'General' part, both further divided into more categories).
- Discogs: DDB's predecessor, where many people from our crew learned the art of catalogueing in online cross-linked databases + things that are good or could be better.

We invite you to have a look at what has been posted in the past, and bring in your ideas. Every input will be seriously considered, as we tend to be as open and democratical as possible.

The DiscographyDB team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should we have a welcome message for new users?   Should we have a welcome message for new users? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should we have a welcome message for new users?
Page 1 of 1