DiscographyDB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DiscographyDB

Make your voice be heard by joining our weekly Saturday chatsessions!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wow

Go down 
+9
Iron_Fist
little_alien
azzurro
Stormbringer
ultra_ambient
dmaxx
Horoma
Masakari
asylum27
13 posters
AuthorMessage
asylum27

asylum27

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 3:16 pm

this forum seems to have ground to a halt...........
Back to top Go down
http://www.simongrigg.info
Masakari

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 3:56 pm

what a pity! maybe most of them want to see how V4 will work out...

but TBH i think there won't be much participation going on here anymore. some seemed to calm down (concerning V4), some may have lost interest in this project as it's moving too slow or it isn't a real promising alternative to discogs.
i don't know...
Back to top Go down
Horoma

Horoma

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I think it's mostly because a) we all have different opinions b) without a proper organizational structure, we can't turn discussions into decisions c) we are lacking people with technical skills (and free time) to build a new database, so what's the point in discussing the content.

I'm still reading this forum, but I'm out of ideas. I think the only way to succeed in this project, is to invest some money to hire programmers, and make sure we have a proper management (elections) that can enforce decisions based on the discussions in this forum.

But I'm rather pessimistic lately. Too bad, 'cause I've given up on discogs, and there is no alternative, unless we make it. The end of a dream ?
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

Number of posts : 908
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Yes, the forum activity dropped a lot lately. Let's see how things turn out, I will certainly keep track of what's going on, on a daily basis (altough I don't have much free time left due to my studies).
Back to top Go down
http://www.discogs.com/user/dmaxx
ultra_ambient

ultra_ambient

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:19 am

I certainly havn't lost interest. I will soon begin work on a new submission page. I can't really begin on other pages until there is an actual database. ShampooCell mentioned he was going to study MySQL for the database but he hasn't confirmed his role yet.
Back to top Go down
Stormbringer

Stormbringer

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 8:08 am

The most important thing is the lack of coders. Without those it's useless to continue the discussion. I honestly thought there were mere technical geeks arround :-D

I'll find a solution to list my own collection, but creating something that everybody on Earth could use isn't very realistic at this point as I can't even code HTML :-(
Back to top Go down
http://www.discogs.com/user/Stormbringer
azzurro

azzurro

Number of posts : 190

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:27 pm

same here, the first excitement dropped a bit, and I'm actually waiting how Discogs V4 will function. I still check it out here and read the topics, but at this moment, there's a) not much time left to make extensive topics and b) no skills I can use in this phase

By the way, I had a vision a couple of days ago that V4 would be postponed every week until April 1st... (and it turns out to be a joke after all) Unfortunately, that's probably not true :S
Back to top Go down
ultra_ambient

ultra_ambient

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 2:24 pm

There is a lot of things that could be done if you are looking to help out. One of the first thing the site will need is a set of guidelines so perhaps we should start work on that.
Back to top Go down
little_alien

Number of posts : 210

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 8:44 pm

I might start my own open source php collection maintainance script once... If I can ever find the time. It would also function as a artist discography script, so it could be used by fan pages etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.discogs.com/user/little_alien
Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 4:49 am

Horoma wrote:
I think it's mostly because a) we all have different opinions b) without a proper organizational structure, we can't turn discussions into decisions c) we are lacking people with technical skills (and free time) to build a new database, so what's the point in discussing the content.

I'm still reading this forum, but I'm out of ideas. I think the only way to succeed in this project, is to invest some money to hire programmers, and make sure we have a proper management (elections) that can enforce decisions based on the discussions in this forum.

But I'm rather pessimistic lately. Too bad, 'cause I've given up on discogs, and there is no alternative, unless we make it. The end of a dream ?
Exactly how I feel. Without the assurance that some people will build the site, I don't really feel like discussing anymore. I'm actually out of ideas too, so I only read new posts.

Just wondering, does anyone have an estimation of how much it would cost to hire a programmer to build a new site?
Back to top Go down
baalofconfusion

baalofconfusion

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 9:18 pm

I am a programmer with knowledge of Java, HTML, Javascript, etc. but I don't have time to take on a project like this. I wish I did, since so far, v4 of discogs is looking pretty awful, and my participation there has dropped to almost nothing.
Back to top Go down
shitty b

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Thats because you all seem to come across as a unpleasant bunch , and such proof can be seen in the way you treat a lot of new users on discogs .
Back to top Go down
deejsasqui
Admin, Manager
deejsasqui

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 6:34 pm

@ shitty b - we can be an abrasive bunch, sometimes harsh. I think there are too many users who assume new users can navigate the convoluted system that is Discogs. That's part of what we're trying to change here. Also, we're trying to be more open, which has also lead to some of the bitterness of Discogs - the management doesn't listen to the long-time users and moderators of old, who know more of the system than most.

If you'd like to counter that we should work with the management, please review the site history. I can spool on about all the good we've suggested that has been ignored, and then the harsh questions that have been deleted (well, I can't point those out - they've been deleted =)

We lack the manpower to make the big ideas into a big system. But you're right, we don't make new friends by venting our anger of the general mis-management onto the new folks.

p.s.: please use your real Discogs name, even if you don't register for this forum. We'd like to pretend we know each-other.
Back to top Go down
http://www.distort.us
skutchy

skutchy

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 4:22 am

Well I am still here and still very interested. My technical know-how is essentially nil so I can't offer a huge amount regarding the construction of the new site. I will, however, stay here and get busy on whatever the eventual outcome is in terms of making it as valid an alternative to Discogs as possible.

As for Shitty B, I I do understand your feelings re: Discogs but please don't assume that we here are Discogs, we are not Smile
Back to top Go down
dmaxx
Admin, Manager

Number of posts : 908

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:52 am

shitty b wrote:
Thats because you all seem to come across as a unpleasant bunch , and such proof can be seen in the way you treat a lot of new users on discogs .
If you don't have the decency to post under your Discogs name I don't talk to you. You obviously have no clue what happened in Discogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.discogs.com/user/dmaxx
Josephschembri

Josephschembri

Number of posts : 57

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 10:19 pm

dmaxx wrote:
shitty b wrote:
If you don't have the decency to post under your Discogs name I don't talk to you. You obviously have no clue what happened in Discogs.

Maybe he's nik or teo lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow   Wow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DiscographyDB :: About-
Jump to: